Pages

Saturday, August 23, 2014

Homemade Thank You Cards

Last winter, I was feeling like I needed a new hobby. During good weather months, I keep busy running, playing rec league softball, volleyball, and football. So when I was invited to a Stampin' Up! "Stamp-a-Stack Party" by a coworker, I didn't know what to expect but I figured what the hell. The demonstrator walks you through how to create 20 handmade cards in 5 different styles. You get to test-drive some of the Stampin' Up! products and walk away with 20 greeting cards! She had lots of the pieces prepped to save time, as some also required more complicated techniques. It was so much fun! I was immediately hooked!

I purchased a basic set of Stampin' Up! products. My first few stamp sets were from the engagement, bridal shower, and wedding designs - being in my late-20s, everyone around me seems to be getting married and starting families, so it seemed like a good place to start. After becoming more comfortable in designing my own cards, I decided that I wanted to make all of the Thank You cards for our wedding. I had no idea what I signed myself up for! But it does offer a nice quiet "meditation-like" time to just slow down and enjoy the moments of these months leading up to the wedding.

I wanted to come up with 4 - 5 different styles that brought in our wedding colors (grey, white, and navy), had somewhat simple designs, yet had a little something special. Here are a few of the styles I came up with...

Upper-left: Smoky Slate / Polka Dot embossing  Upper-right: Night of Navy / Silver embossing 
Lower-left:  Night of Navy / Banner Punch  Lower-right: Smoky Slate / Thank You

I got into the groove and once I completed 25 cards pre-made, I slowed down thinking I had a good head start... until my bridal shower and I depleted my stash! Now with the wedding being only 7 weeks away (eek!), I need to drink some energy drinks and become a Hallmark Machine!

What I really like about Stampin' Up! products is that they are of really great quality, have really cute stamps, and they take the question out of color/pattern matching. I've bought some Martha Stewart punches from Michael's and they just don't make as clean as cuts. I'd encourage anyone who's into paper crafts to check them out online!

Share your personality with your friends and give them handmade cards - I can guarantee they will B'more Beautiful than any you can find in the store!

Leave me a comment below if you'd be interested in my recommendations for a good card-making starter-kit.

No comments: